Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Doppelgänger Obsession...


I started writing a story about a person (me), who sees himself or is visited by himself, as a separate person. This other version of myself is telling me that I will die. Now, don't go breaking my balls about "this has been done, yadda, yadda", everything has been done asshole! So, anyway, I started doing some research on the subject and found out the term for this apparition of one's own self is called a "Doppelgänger", which is German for "Double Walker (Goer)". The whole idea of seeing myself as another person, just fucking creeps the shit out of me, and I actually have, in a dream anyway, and I assure you the context of this dream was generally terrifying, I will probably never forget it. Many famous people have claimed to have seen their own Doppelgänger, often times right before their death, Abe Lincoln and Queen Elizabeth to name a couple. There was a study done in Switzerland back in Sept. 2006, in which they were using electromagneti stimulation on a patient left temporal junction, during the study the patient described feeling their own presense and then actually seeming themselves. So the Doppelgänger thing could just be a failure of this region of the brain. The idea of it being something of the supernatural is way more... romantic, I guess, so I'm sticking with that. Just hope you don't ever see your self in your waking life because it probably is not a good thing.

No comments: