Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Absinthe

I feel like there are a lot of misconceptions about Absinthe in modern culture. Recently I purchased a bottle from "Sam's Wine and Spirits" over the weekend. Before I talk about the absinthe though, "Sam's" (not Sam's Club), is amazing, every type of beer, booze, wine whatever alcohol you can imagine.. they've got it, and free samples at the end of each ailse, so you can actually get a little drunk while you shop! Anywho, Absinthe was recently legalized here, in 2007, Absinthe (true Absinthe), was being sold again for the first time since 1912. When I say "True Absinthe" that means it contains the chemical compound Thujone, which is contained in the Grand Wormwood, The US law limits the amount of Thujone in absinthe to 10 mg/kg. Studies have shown that a majority of french absinthe contained somewhere between 6-12 mg/kg. So we are on track with that. Thujone was previously believed to stimulate the cannabinoid receptors in your brain like THC when you smoke dope, but they could not prove this. The previous bottle I had I ordered from Chech Rep. and it's claim was the "highest Thujone content" at I think like 33 mg or something like that. Basically, I don't think you can hallucinate from drinking absinthe I have drank a bunch and can't say I have every felt anything even close to hallucinating. Granted it will totally get you wasted because its usually like 100-120 proof, so there is that. The Bottle pictured is Le Tourment Vert, it's made in France, is 100 proof and I paid like $45.00 - 50.00, I like it.

No comments: