Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The End of an Era


As I am sure many of you know by now, the world received the shocking news yesterday that Bennigan's was closing it's doors for the rest of time... good night sweet prince... good night. This news hits home for me just a bit more than the average person as I am a former employee of this iconic dining establishment. Before I was able to be a waiter I was a host, and not only was I fired from one Bennigan's but actually two. For the record, it wasn't for anything like putting my nut butter on the rim of some dickhead's iced tea, or preferring to smoke cigarettes in the back instead of waiting on my tables, I just wasn't motivated enough to be employed there anymore. If you've seen the movie "Waiting" (which is way more of a documentary than a comedy), you know how much you are truly hated by the person that is bringing you your food, I mean it didn't matter who you were, or what you tipped, if I had to wait on you, I fucking hated you. Don't be sad, if we met somewhere else and you weren't asking for extra honey mustard or extra lemon for your fucking cheap ass water, I might actually have liked you. But, before this snowballs into some ridiculous rant about my unadulterated hatred for humanity lets get back on track. Where did Bennigan's go wrong, why did they go under, going back to the honey mustard, I think it was the best I ever had, no shit. The food was okay, not incredible, but definitely no worse than any of the competitor's i.e. Applebee's, T.G.I.Friday's, Ruby Tuesday's, Max & Erma's. None of the food at Bennigan's or these other places is bad, so why did Bennigan's fail whilst the others prevail? RACISM, yup i'm going to chalk it up to the man trying to bring down the Irish, you all forgot about how the Irish are going to be affected by this travesty. 87% of Ireland's GDP is or was directly reliant upon the international Bennigan's chain. So what we are potentially seeing here is not only the fall of a corporation (Steak & Ale), but an entire nation. One shining beacon of hope that remains is that franchise or privately owned stores will remain open for the time being. What can you do? Take what ever cash you can spare and send it to us here at: CDS5000, P.O. BOX 666, LUBUMASHI, KATANGA, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO 54470. We will make sure that your generous donations are sent directly to Ireland, to help begin the relief process of a nation in distress. Good Day.

No comments: