Monday, June 18, 2012

Sorry PETA, I Ate some Fois Grais...


Last week I visited a lovely hipstified establishment in Logan Square called Longman & Eagle. When I say "hipstified", I mean, the place is great, but for people who judge the definition of a hipster by what someone is wearing or looks like, and have a problem with that... You may want to choose a different place to have dinner. Most of the people here are pretty nice, fun and intelligent humans that I don't have the urge to physically harm. I no longer base my definition of "hipster" in a negative context based on their appearance alone. The thing that I have grown to hate are the hipsters who just think they are too fucking cool (stupid, ignorant) for anything.. and I mean, ANYTHING. I've tried to have conversations with this pathetic breed and you just get nothing back from them. They hate everything main stream just because it is main stream. They are just the shitheads of an identifiable group of people who give the rest of them (people who are just moving with a trend in fashion) a bad name. These people exist in every class or social sub-category of people. And because they're too apathetic to open their mind to something other than stuffing their weak, out of shape bodies into tight clothes (that are only an indication they're following fashion trends, i.e. TRYING) I grant them solely with the attribute of being narrow-minded fuck-tards.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way. Let's talk about dinner, which was delicious. L&E has been around for a few years now, and I've gotten unequivocally smashed there a few times before thanks to the amount of whiskey and craft beers they offer, but this was my first real sit down proper meal. Here's how it went:

Quick Snack:
  • Sliced Fingerling Potato with Chives, Creme Fraiche and Salmon Roe. FREE!

 Apps:
  • Pastrami Spiced Pig Head, Sauerkraut Gnocchi, Dehydrated Rye, Shaved Pear-Watercress Salad, Thousand Island Sugo. $12
  • Kentucky Fried Quail, Foie Gras Enriched Corn Bread, Country Gravy, Red Beans and Hamhock. $17
Entree:
  • Seared Maine Day Boat Scallops, Black Truffle Cream of Wheat, Beech Mushrooms, Pickled Ramp Bulbs, Pea Shoots, Citrus Emulsion. $28 
Dessert:
  • Warm Gruyere Donuts, Fig Jam, Hazelnut Marscapone, Wild Flower Honey  $9
In closing, if you are looking to binge on some succulent rich meats (I think my waiter wanted to binge on mine! ;) and whiskey, this is the place to do it.


No comments: