Monday, December 7, 2009

CDS5k 2009 Podcast Review


In the past year or so I have become Coo Coo for Podcasts (and of course cocaine, I love cocaine). Every day I'm pumping these brilliant shows into my head holes, at work, in my home, at the gymnasium, it's rare to see me without ear buds in. So, I thought I would rank and talk a little bit about each of the shows I listen to on a regular basis. Hopefully you can start to enjoy some of these as well. You can get any of these by just typing the title into the iTunes search in the iTunes store under "podcasts". Here are my top 8 Podcasts of 2009:

8. The Adam Carolla Podcast
This is one of the few podcasts that are put out almost daily, with an average run time of about 45 min. Adam's ability to rant knowledgeably and his general hatred of humanity and minorities (jk) make this show a good listen for me. He has a deep pool of actors, comedians and other random celebs that frequent his show.

7. Comedy and Everything Else
Show consists of Todd Glass, Jimmy Dore and Stephanae Zomorano, all of whom are comedic comedians. C&EE features a combination of political discussion (lead by Dore) along with hilarious juvenile pothead antics (lead by Glass) and long form interview/discussion with well known comedians and actors. This one is good if you've got a lot of time to kill and you fucking hate Glenn Beck, epi's run over 2 hours.

6. Stuff You Should Know

This podcast is brought to you by "How Stuff Works". I just started listening to "SYSK"this week and I'm pretty into it. It's runs about 30 minutes and is very well researched and informative brief on random topics "You Should Know". Some of the topics I've listened to last week were: Jack the Ripper, Future Crime Solving, Are Zombies Real, and Are Nazi War Criminals Around. These are the topics that interested me, but there are tons of episodes up, like 135 or something like that. I can't remember the host's names because I'm new to this one.

5. Comedy Death Ray Radio
Hosted by comedy writer Scott Aukerman (Mr. Show and Run Ronnie Run), show combines radio comedy shtick and comedy songs. I usually fast forward through the songs to get back to the delightful banter. Aukerman is hilarious, so are his guests, this show runs about 1 hour.

4. Uhh Yeah Dude
"UYD" was created by two American Americans by the names of Seth Romatelli and Jonathan Laraquette (Son of the actor by the same name). The show covers all things pop culture and shows a general distain for the direction we are headed as a civilization. It will help you to keep your finger on the pulse of the shit storm that is American pop culture, runs about 1 hour. Seatbelts!

3. I Love Movies
Doug Benson does this show live from the UCB theater in LA and beams this awesome show back into our internets. Doug fucking loves movies and I fucking love movies, so I love this podcast. Great guests contribute in a panel style discussion. I really like the "Leonard Malton Game" and 'Build a Title". Also I just saw Doug Benson and Graham Ellwood at the Lakeshore Theater in Chicago last night and it was great!

2. Jordan, Jesse, Go!
Show is hosted by Jesse Thorne (America's Radio Sweatheart) and Jordan Morris (Boy Detective). Jesse Thorne also hosts a show on NPR called "The Sound of Young America" and Jordan Morris hosts and produces a show on Fuel TV. This is another very funny one, again, with this show, always a really good guest and stimulating, often low-brow comedy, which I'm on board with. runs about 1 hour 30 min.

1. Never Not Funny

Hosted by Jimmy Pardo and co-host Matt Belknap, this is the "vanguard of comedy podcasts" to use a phrase of Pardo's. James has a long career of stand-up comedy under his belt, and hails from the Chicagoland area, like myself and most of you dummies who read this blog. Runs about 1 hour 30 min. Unfortunately this one is not free, it's $20 a season (26 epi's per), but also features a video feed for another $10. But, it is the BEST podcast out there so... You can however listen to the first 25 minutes of each epi for free on iTunes first to decide if you think you like it or not.

No comments: