Monday, September 21, 2009

Thoughts on a Movie No. 9

For Thoughts on a Movie No. 9, I'll be talking about the movie "9", which I saw last night in the theater. If you're unfamiliar with "9", it's an animated picture story about a post-apocalyptic distopia in which the only "life" remaining is creepy doll-headed cobra robots and cute-ish little burlap sack people with aperture eyes. The general story is really nothing new; man goes to war, man makes war machine, war machine turns on man and kills everyone, few remain and struggle to rebuild civilization upon destroying the evil machines. The thing made this movie especially entertaining to me was the visual effects and art direction... Well, there was a pretty intense sex scene at the beginning of the third act, in which the sack people go to town on the rotting corpse of their creator. Getting back to the visual styles of the film, the sack people are not proportionally to scale with humans, I'd say they would be somewhere around 8"-12" tall, so the miniature world that is created for them, by them (FTBT), was pretty great. Being a devout Christian I did take issue with the lack of Christianity portrayed in the movie and the Sack people's dangerous tinkering within the Occult. It became quite clear to me that the makers of this film were definitely Devil worshipers and certainly no friend of my old pal Jesus Christ. It's a minor let down for me now because I can't help but wonder how much better this movie would've been if it was written by a Christian, like myself who has a short fiction writing class from a community college under his belt.

This movie was really fun and visually awesome, if you don't see it in the theater some of the visual "pop" will be lost. So this little guy is gonna be a 4 outta 5. Now if you'll excuse me I'm parked in a red zone inside of my brain and the sandman is a comin', clear the way or be lost in subconscious limbo for all eternity.

p.s.
Breakfast Hot Pockets are full size now, not sure when the made the switch, because the breakfast HPs used to be 4 small HPs instead of 2 larger HPs like they make for the other lunch/dinner varieties. I myself, just recently enjoyed a Applewood Bacon, Egg & Low Fat Cheese Lean Pocket.

No comments: