Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Thoughts on a Movie No. 21

OBLIVION IMAX

It looked pretty good, it looked really good... It wasn't until after the movie I realized the makers of TRON were involved in the production of this movie. It definitely came through in the visual and soundtrack, which is a good thing to me. A lot of the time, I felt like I was actually Tom Cruise or, I'm sorry, "Jack Harper"... Only, In my taller, younger, more athletic frame. It's set in the year 2077... Jack Harper and his old lady are living in this super rad Jetson's sky house pictured below!

Sixty years earlier Aliens invaded Earth, there was this crazy big battle... They blew up the Moon which fucked up all the natural order of things, geographically devastating the planet. Other spots suffer from radiation from Nuclear weapons used in the defense against the alien attack. Jack and Victoria, his wife or partner or GF or whatever she was are the last two people remaining on Earth. Jack flys down to the surface now and again to repair damaged drones that patrol the surface, eradicating the few remaining Scavs (aliens) that are roaming caves and shit.

They've got 2 weeks before their term of service is ended and they can return to "Tet", the huge space station and jumping of point to "Titan" one of Saturn's moons, which is a new colony being settled by the survivors of the war. The drones actually are pretty menacing looking, which is calculated, since obviously they go "rouge" and try to kill our little buddy in his silver moto-cross outfit!

All in all, I'm trying to not give away any major plot points of this thing. The story does take a few predictable turns during the visual effects fest that is carried out before you... I expected that though. Morgan Freeman (or as I believe it to be pronounced, "Morgand Freedmen") makes a silky-voiced appearance... Oh! and so does the guy who plays Jaime Lannister on GOT (Game of...), he's in it to win it as well. I dunno, this is the worst movie review I think I've ever put up here, but there are lots of pretty pictures, which Oblivion also has a lot of. I think if you're able to enjoy the ride and not scrutinize the details of the story too much, you'll have a good time.

I'm giving this movie a rating of 3.99 out of 5 deathmarx.

Quote of the Movie
"Oh no, Come on, Not my God-Damn Bike!"
-Jack Harper, after his motorcycle he was contractually guaranteed to ride was stolen by Scavs...

No comments: