Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thoughts on a Movie No.14

It's important for me to start out by saying, almost immediately after I saw the trailer for this movie, my expectations became very low. Last night I was bored and just felt like getting out of the house, little did I know I was walking into teenage vampire pandemonium! But having low expectations for a movie and being a little brain barbecued, can make for pleasant surprises and 80 minutes of what I actually would call entertainment. Jonah Hex has been a long running comic book series under DC Comics, but I'm not really familiar with the source material (I've tried but DC just doesn't do it for me in print). Jonah Hex (Josh Brolin) is a former confederate soldier who was betrayed by his commanding officer (John Malkovich) and left for dead during the civil war. After his near death experience Jonah obtains the ability to communicate with the dead which helps him to become the most feared and dangerous bounty hunter/gunslinger around in post Civil War America. The beginning of the movie is really cool, they do this whole "motion comic" style intro that explains the back story, which was very pleasing to the eye. Generally the scenes and locations are fun, whore houses (Megan Fox plays the hooker with a heart of gold), southern fight tents (think civil war era UFC death matches), abandoned military forts and even steam powered iron destroyer ships. I liked this movie, it was a good way to kill some time and get some cheap entertainment. Lately, I have found it a lot easier to enjoy movies if you take it for what it's worth before viewing it. As far as Megan Fox goes, she's been giving more than a fair shot at becoming an "actress". Unless you really have seen everything out there, I'm guessing there will be a better option when it comes time to watch a movie... for you, because again, I liked this movie.

and we'll've this one come in at 2.65 out of 5

Quote of the Movie: "What happened to your fey-hey-hace?!"
-Henchmen upon realizing Jonah Hex had just thrown a tomahawk at him.

No comments: